Friday, September 10, 2010

One Month In

Hello, it has been about one month today since arriving in Uganda.  I am learning more and more Runyankore on a daily basis and am getting used to knowing people and hearing my name nearly every time I walk into town.  This upcoming week will be week 5 out of 10 for training, and on Tuesday I will be leaving Wakiso and making a site visit in Kabale.  Myself and another volunteer will stay with a current PCV, a woman who works in a hospital doing community outreach on a health assignment.  I have been told that this region is the "Swiss Alps" of Uganda, and I plan on taking pictures to share with you all.  Again, for the next month and a half I am checking internet at cafes and am unable to load any pictures.  Hopefully this will change when I get to my site placement.

I greatly appreciate the comments, it affords me a few moments to daydream about waking up on Broome Street, taking the M15 bus to 68th Street and hearing Anita Chase proclaim "Allright, let's go home," at 7:15pm.  I also get a moment to think about eating Tony's pizza with Manabu while watching Tremors.  I am not homesick, but I certainly miss all of you who are harder to keep in contact with now that I am without internet or a local number.  See you all later!

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're doing well buddy. That Caps lock joke was hilarious-I'm happy to see you're in good humor as you make this transition.

    St. Louis still stands, in case you were wondering. And they have fro-yo here now! (I can just see you shaking your head in dismay)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dano,

    The trip to Kabale sounds like an adventure. There are gorillas nearby! It will be cool to see a rural hospital and a real PCV doing a health project. Have fun and travel safe! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I got your text and I tried like ten times to text back, but it wouldn't go through.

    Glad to hear things are going well, and glad to see these updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't get through to your Uganda phone either.

    Also glad to hear that all is well and that the transition has been good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Anita Chase reference killed me and Angie, I swear.
    I have one of your old patients- who shall remain nameless- that went nuts a few months ago and started swinging his chair around the room. I have been praying all night that he does not lose it.
    I gotta look up these places you mention on Google Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dan, hope your experience in Kabale was interesting. Still trying to figure out how to send package of briefs for less than $158. How soon do you need them?

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tremors!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they don't have the ones that fly....

    ReplyDelete