Story 1: Last Tuesday I visit a church and non-profit down the road from my town. I make connections and explain that I want to attend service, however this weekend I am going to Kampala.
"Sure, hey, let me give you the phone number of the man who drives a van directly from here to Kampala," Carol, my new friend says. "Sweet, thanks," I reply. Thursday night, I drop by the church again to take a book back that I lent to Carol.
"Hey, how was Kampala?"
"Oh, I didn't go, I am going tomorrow, I am going to call your friend when I get home."
"Ahhh, ok. Oooh. Wait. Don't call him. He died in an accident yesterday."
"......"
15 minutes later, on my way home, I ask Huntington, the gas station attendant, if he were to go to Kampala, how would he get there?
"Oh yes, Kampala. There is a taxi that comes every morning at 6:30 and picks up from the top of that... Oooh, wait. That man, he died in an accident yesterday."
"....." ........ "Thanks, Huntington."
Story 2: I am in a taxi the next morning on my way to Kampala sitting in the front seat next to some dude who works for the government. As we drive along there is a man outstretched lying on the side of the road. As we get closer I see that he is covered in dust and sort of blue. The man is pretty clearly dead. Out of instinct I glance at the man next to me, he turns, acknowledges my glance, and responds, "He is dead. What?" We drive on.
Story 3: On my way back to town, I drove by a man riding a camel on the side of the road. It blew my mind. Neither the man nor the camel were dead.
Man, as I sit here with Anita, Les, Janel and Rose, I laugh my @$$ off at that dead dude on the side of the road. Wait, that's not funny. Is it?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that your last story featured neither dead men nor dead camels.
ReplyDelete